Monday, June 22, 2009

QUARANTINE

Our family has had some unexpected and un-welcomed viral visitors this month. I (Andrea) started out with weird headaches, muscle aches, and weakness which persisted and worsened over a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, Orrin and Aleya developed conjunctivitis (pink eye), ear aches, and sinus infections . . . which they passed on to me, as well. After two trips to the doctor and several tests, I was formally diagnosed last Tuesday with mononucleosis. What a great way to start off summer break.


Although I do not have the symptoms of sore throat and nausea, the rest of the symptoms seem to fit the bill. The worst symptoms are the headache, muscle aches, and fatigue. There is no medicine for the virus. It can last anywhere from 2-8 weeks, but symptoms can last longer. I've already had it for 4 weeks now, but symptoms were worse these past two weeks. You can be contagious for up to 18 months afterwards. Let's just hope and pray Christian already had it. Most people have been exposed to it by the time they are adults. Kids who are exposed to it generally do not develop symptoms, just antibodies. Christian is coming down with a sore throat and cough . . . and Amara has a fever and ear ache . . . but hopefully they are just regular virus that will pass. Joseph is the last healthy family member. Let's hope his immune system holds up!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh. That sounds horrible! We'll pray for you and your family. Take it easy....I hope you feel better soon!