Thursday, June 25, 2009

Christian's Fellowship Graduation Ceremony 2009

Christian officially graduated from his advanced training program in Gastroenterology with the Navy at the Naval Medical Center San Diego.

Although I am am ill with mono, I wanted to attend this ceremony to support Christian in his achievement. I am grateful I was able to make it here thanks to my dear friend, Marissa, who drove me down. I lasted through the ceremonies, but my body hated me later. Tylenol and a good night's rest did the trick.

After 4 years of medical school, 3 years of Internal Medicine residency, 1 year with the Fleet Surgical Team Three, and then 3 years of the Gastroenterology fellowship . . . HE IS FINISHED! Eleven years is a long haul. Well, technically he finishes at the end of July, but CLOSE ENOUGH! Also, he needs to study and pass his boards in October to be "board-certified." So, I guess we still have that hurdle ahead.

Good job, hunny.

The current Gastroenterology team at the Naval Medical Center San Diego.

Christian is now a Gastroenterologist.

We owe the Navy four more years and then . . . well, who knows? For now, we'll go to lunch to celebrate such an incredible occasion.

This is my first visit in 3 years to Christian's office in the Gastroenterology or "G.I." department. I wonder why I haven't visited here until now?

Christian's office.


Christian's research presentation board adorns the hallway just outside his office. He won 2nd place at a G.I. convention for this presentation.

The procedure room for procedures like ERCPs. Christian certified in this advanced procedure by completing over 200 ERCPs in less than 2 years.

This is the endoscopy room for scoping procedures (both ends :o). They do scoping down the throat and into the belly as well as colonoscopies. Eeeeewwwww!

The gastroenterology daily schedule board. Christian says there are many days when his name is written on nearly every space.

Christian receives a Navy award and medal from his commanding officer.

Way to go!

4 comments:

Ben and Bethany said...

Wow that is so awesome!!! Congrats!!

Julie said...

Hoorah!
Congratulations!! That is such an accomplishment :) We are so proud of you. (And still hope you'll all be moving out this way some time in the future)

Melissa said...

Awesome Christian! Way to go! Congrats on such a great achievement!

ambo rambo said...

Congrats! From the Schmidts. We think you're pretty neat!