**************************LATER******************************
The funny thing is that we were empowered to get our own kayaks from Miramar a week later, and try our hand at kayaking off La Jolla Shores to the caves. It was MUCH HARDER to launch from the beach through the crashing waves. It was a particularly turbulent day and most everyone was wiping out trying to get past the waves. Joseph wiped out 3 times, but Christian made it all right. We didn't dare take Amara or Aleya. We just hung out on the beach. Orrin turned out to be violently ill and huddled in a ball with a towel on him, most of the time.
When they got back, Christian and Joseph told me how wonderful the caves were and how they saw sea lions just a few feet from them. Now it was my turn! Christian thought he should help me get past the waves, but when I fell out of the kayak, a wave pushed the kayak right into his chin and took out a big chunk of skin. I flagged down the life guards in their jeep and asked for a bandaid. They asked why, and when I told them about the injury, they offered their EMT services. Since Christian was doctor, he just used their stuff to bandage himself up until we could get him to the hospital. BUT I STILL WANTED MY TURN!!! So, I went out by myself and only wiped out once. I had a nice solitary time on the open sea on my way to the caves and sea lions. I wiped out completely on the way into the beach (but most people do). We cleaned up our beach gear, loaded up the kayaks on our roof rack, and headed to the hospital. We did have to stop and drop off the kayaks first and then drop Joseph off at a birthday party. We went to the Pomerado ER and in less than an hour Christian had 7 stitches and a fun story to tell.






No comments:
Post a Comment