Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

We continued our San Diego tradition to spend Memorial Day at Fort Roscrans Cemetery at Point Loma.

The east side of the cemetery overlooks the bay and the city of San Diego. The west side overlooks the Pacific. We enjoyed watching all the sailboats out on the water.

This is the gorgeous view of San Diego Bay from the cemetery. It is a nice place to be buried, for sure . . . at least nice for your family who comes to visit your grave. The cemetery is full, though, and only cremated remains of active duty can be placed here now, if you are on the waiting list.


Amara, Joseph, and Orrin love to climb the trees at the cemetery. They have all grown into truly great climbing trees with the well-fertilized soil from all the decomposition . . . I assume.

Seeing all the graves, line with American flags, is a solemn sight to see. We like to walk around and read the graves and find out the branch of service, the wars each one fought it, and medals achieved. We always try to find the oldest serviceman and the oldest war. I think the one we found was born in 1880 and fought in the Spanish-American War, as well as WWI.

Our kids love running up and down the isles of tombstones.

They also enjoy doing acrobatics and summersaults down the isles.

After all that fun, I think I'll take a little rest . . .

No comments: