
After a beautiful drive up the mountain to Big Bear, we finally found our snow! We finally made it to some snow at Big Bear Lake in California. We had heard that the best sledding was behind the Marine Corps Cabins at Big Bear. They were right. There was still snow (not man-made) and the sledding was free. It was around $20 a person/per hour, elsewhere on man-made snow runs.

We brought our bright blow-up sleds we had bought a few months ago to use (when all the snow was melted in Julien). We just came up for the day (it's about 2 1/2 hours away), since I was not able to get a cabin reserved.

The downside was that Aleya was sick. We almost scrapped this trip, too. But I thought if we could just keep her in the car and away from the cold, she would be fine. She would have none of that and insisted on sledding, too. So, we bundled her up well.

Joseph and Orrin were maniacs and tried many long and speedy slopes. It is always a terrifying thrill when your sled turns around backwards and you can't see where you are going.

Next they had snowball fights. A nice lady used her trusty snowball maker to form perfectly round snowballs for the kids to use.

Aleya used the sled to nap on. (She was not feeling well, at all, but she still had a turn to sled every so often)

The boys tried this particularly steep slope, but kept crashing into rock piles. Joseph pretty much gave up after this because he was too cold and frustrated. Our kids are a little wimpy when it comes to cold. Also, our sleds were losing air because they got punctured on the rocks.

Amara had the most fun of all the kids and never crashed at all.

I even tried a few of the runs. It is thrilling, but not as fun as I remembered when I was a kid. I guess it's the "I don't want to get injured" factor.
No comments:
Post a Comment