We began our trip by visiting my Grandma Armstrong in Sun City West, Arizona, just outside of Phoenix. It was fun to see her and my aunt Jesse. They had prepared quite a feast for us with many delicious courses. Our kids couldn't wait to play games like hide the button and dominoes with Great Grandma because that's what they remembered from our last visit. The kids had a lot of fun and Aleya didn't get in too much trouble with all the fragile Grandma decorations.
Monday morning we packed up and ate the continental breakfast and headed off to Montezuma's Castle. It was fun to see it again and take pictures. I was able to buy another Junior Ranger hat (this seems to be one of the few places you can get them). We found out too late, last time at the Grand Canyon, that these hats were not sold there, only at Montezuma's castle.
Next, we drove 30 minutes to Sedona and Bell Rock. We had wanted to ride on some bike trails, but the Ranger said many of them were muddy. So, we spent most of our time hiking and climbing around Bell Rock. Last time we came, I was 8 months pregnant, so I didn't get to climb up on anything. We also had a surprise that there was fresh snow on the ground all over the place. Some had melted, but much still lingered. The kids were LOVING IT. They had a lot of snow ball fights while we hiked. It felt like the high 50s, low 60s, though and it was nice and sunny, so we planned to make the best of it.
This time we all climbed to some pretty high spots on Bell Rock on the west side. Christian and I climbed the highest to get a 360 view of Sedona and Oak Creek (at different times). I was nervous to be up there without Christian, but a kind young man helped me a little and showed me the best route to get up. Christian had taken the more difficult route and, according to my boys, "Almost died." I think they were exaggerating a bit. We also climbed on the east side of Bell Rock to a point I had wanted to climb up to 2 years ago, if I hadn't been pregnant. It was near the place where Orrin was stuck last time and had to be rescued by some other hikers and their dog. This time we took the easier way up. It was again fun to see the 270 degree view from there. We noticed on the way back that much of the snow on the trail had melted while we were climbing.
We next continued north to the Grand Canyon to our hotel, the Red Feather Lodge. We had stayed there before. It is actually a very nice hotel, with rustic decor. The kids got the crazy idea that they wanted to swim in the outdoor pool there (even with all the snow on the ground). Aleya and I were more sensible and stayed in our room.






No comments:
Post a Comment